Week 2 Story: The Crow

The Crow

Once upon a time, there was a farmer that lived near a fertile field.  The farmer would reap and sow day and day, bringing in plentiful harvests every season.  The farmer planted berries in the summertime, squash in the fall, melon in the winter, and flowers in the spring.  He also had many acres of land in which he tended to numerous species of trees which created a glorious forest.  
 
The farmer lived alone and was without a wife or children; however, he was very wealthy and prosperous in money.

"My land is fertile, and my fruits and plant are abundant.  I need no woman or child to keep me company," the farmer would say. 

Although the farmer had more than enough to eat every season, he was very greedy with his possessions.  He knew that he had the best produce in the land.  No other farmer could grow juicier fruits.  No other farmer had been able to provide as large of plants as he.  

Instead of sharing his food, the farmer would keep many of the plants he harvested for himself.  The times he did sell, he would often charge fortunes to the families that bought from him.  Even if they were poor, the farmer had no compassion, and would get well over what his produce was worth.

One day, a poor girl came to the farm and pleaded for a squash for her family to eat.  

"We have eaten only rice for days, and our grains are being depleted rapidly."  She begged for just one vegetable, but the farmer would not budge. 

"If you are unable to pay the price, you may scavenge for scraps in my trash like a rat," the farmer rudely replied. 

The little girl decided to make him a deal.

"I have no money to offer, but I do have something you may desire."

Piqued by his curiosity, the farmer allowed her to propose her idea. 

"You have no wife, no children, and no company.  I am sure you get lonely here on this large farm of yours.  I am prepared to offer you my most prized possession."

The greedy farmer was more than eager to take what she claimed was her most prized and valuable object. 

"And what do you have to offer?" he asked.

"Only my best friend, and most loyal companion: my pet crow," the little girl responded.

The farmer considered this for just a moment, then quickly agreed to the deal.  

"Bring me back your crow, and I will give you one squash," he said to her.

The little girl sadly left the field to bring him her crow.  

The farmer heard a knock on his door, and found the crow sitting in a wooden cage on his doorstep.  The little girl was nowhere to be seen, but the farmer paid no mind. 

"Now you belong to me," the farmer said to the crow.  He was enamored with its sleek, black feathers.  While the crow was beautiful the farmer felt a strange sense of foreboding in its beady eyes.  The farmer kept the crow locked up in a cage and watched it every night still feeling a strange ominous sense to the creature. 

Years passed and the farmer grew older, but his produce became smaller, and less.  The farmer soon began to lose the profits he had made and was becoming poorer and poorer as time went on.  The farmer became more cynical, more greedy, and slowly became mad.  

"Ever since you came, I have had nothing but bad luck," he angrily shouted to the crow. "This is all your fault!"

The farmer decided that he wanted to rid himself of this creature and decided to take it to the field and kill it.  While walking to the field, the farmer stumbled and fell into a ravine.  He looked down and saw that he had broken his leg.  Far from any other person, the farmer was alone on his large farm.  He tried to call for help but knew that it was useless.  No one would hear his cries for help.  Days passed and the farmer was still stuck, unable to move and fiercely hungry.  The only other life he had seen for these past few days, was the crow flying circles above him.  

The farmer began to go insane from hunger and seeing the crow.  

"You bought this upon me!  My demise was brought onto me by my own hand!" cried the farmer. 

In his fit of rage and screaming, the crow squawked and flew down to attack the farmer.  The crow pecked at the farmers eyes and face.  The crow attacked the farmer with his beak while the man tried to swat at the bird.  Finally, the farmer lay still and on the verge of death, when he heard a familiar voice speak.  It sounded like the little girl that had given him the crow many years before.  He turned his head, and to his surprise, the voice came from the crow.

"You reap what you sow, and your seeds of greed have bough you nothing but loneliness and death," the crow said.  In one fell swoop, the crow pecked the farmer one last time, and he lay still and lifeless.  



Crow, bird, raven, blackbird, animal - free image from needpix.com
The Crow.  Needpix.



Author's Note
I got the idea for my story from the story cited below.  I decided to keep the same type of story telling style and point of view.  The story had a lesson at the end that taught the reader basically 'you reap what you sow'.  It showed how doing bad things, and deceiving others would ultimately trail back to the person.  I wanted to keep the same little lesson in this story, and show how karma would pay back the bad deeds you had done.   


Bibliography: The Cunning Crane and the Crab from Old India by W. H. D Rouse. Websource.

Comments

  1. Hi Izzy! Your version of the story was very well written and the lesson in the story is super important so I'm glad you kept it in your version. The picture of the crow that you included aligns with the story very well -- The fact that the picture is black and white rather than full of color fits the ominous feel of the pet crow. The thing that I'm confused about is where the little girl went? From my understanding, she is the crow, but I would suggest making that a little more clear in the story if that is the case. You could also provide insight on the little girl's family's change in luck following the donation of her pet crow to the old man if she is not the crow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Izzy! I like how you took the plot from one story and made it completely your own! The crow and farmer did not take away from the original message, and honestly seemed to work better. I agree with the comment above. I also was wondering where the girl? Maybe she was an Indian god that was sent to teach the farmer a lesson? Other than, it was a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Izzy! I love how spooky and suspenseful this story is. It was a lot of fun to read!
    One question I have is why the crow/girl had to stay with the farmer in order for his bad luck to happen. Why could she not just make his produce bad and leave him to deal with it instead of hanging around in crow form and having to live in a cage in his house for so long? Or did the crow have a more direct role in the farmer's death?
    This was a great story to read on a chilly, gray day! It put me in a Halloween mood with the squash and the farm imagery and the crow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Izzy, I think you absolutely mastered your authors note and did everything you said. I can most definetely identify the theme and the moral of the story through your art of story telling. I am an ultimate believer in karma. You most definetely will serve for your wrongs and only time will tell. You did an amazing job by setting the tone and scene in your story, which shows great writing skills. I would maybe consider dividing from the original story and making it your own personal story and add your own unique plot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Izzy,

    Wow. This was amazing! I really loved how you took the inspiration from the original and made your story also come full circle! This story also reminds me of The Birds, except in that story, I don’t think the birds speak. This story was also so well written, I couldn’t help but sense that it just flowed from the keys onto the page!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts