Wikipedia Trail: From Broken Arrow To Radiation Burn

 The other day, one of my new coworkers asked where I was from and I told them I went to high school in Broken Arrow.  They proceeded to ask "isn't that the term used to describe lost nuclear warheads?" Never in my life had I heard that before, but it interested me so I decided to check it out.  So without further ado, lets begin 

From...

Broken Arrow

- Term indicating an accidental event involving nuclear weapons, warheads, or components that does not create risk of nuclear war.

Ex: radioactive contamination, accidental/unexplained nuclear detonation, loss of nuclear weapon, etc.


Nuclear and Radiation Accidents and Incidents

- an example of a 'broken arrow' included radioactive contamination.  It looked interesting and if anything the site may inform me on how to avoid or stay safe in these conditions and that's never a bad thing to know so I thought why not.  

- the site showed a lot of historical events that had already happened and the overall effects of the incident financially, ecologically, and the way it impacted others.  I was more curious to know the effects of radiation personally, and cue the next link clicked on my trail.  


Acute Radiation Syndrome

I learned that radiation poisoning basically causes cancer.

    Some early symptoms include: nausea, vomiting, and loss of appetite

    Later symptoms include: infections, bleeding, dehydration, and confusion

Overall it seems very unpleasant, and I can see why so many horror movies are based off of post-apocalyptic dystopias where there are creatures effected by a plague, or in this case, radiation.


Radiation Burn

This last link was chosen due to my morbid curiosity.  I wanted to see more images of the ways that radiation poisoning could disfigure and alter the skin.  The degree of some of these images are seriously chilling.  



Radiation burn.  Wikipedia Commons. 



Comments

Popular Posts