Microfiction: Sloth

Drabble:

Sloth does not exist because someone has been worn out and is on the verge of collapsing.  Sloth does not exist because the hands of laborers yearn for the soothing balm of rest after hours of working.  Sloth exists because there are individuals that are willing to reap the rewards of hard work without contributing anything themselves.  

Sloth lounges around, waiting for something that it never lifted a finger for.  Sloth watches idly as others plant, water, and harvest, then it proceeds to take the fruits of labor not of its own.  Apathy in watching the world rise -or fall- is sloth.  


Two Sentence Story:

Her incurable indolence and satisfaction with adequacy prevented her from taking any active part in solving the crisis in her own home.  As the world burned around her, she sat back and watched.  

Burning.  Pixabay. 


Note:

I wanted to write another microfiction on one of the 7 deadly sins (there is already one up about greed), because I don't know if I'll be able to feature each of the 7 in my future stories.  My plan was to have a series of 7 stories featured in my Portfolio, each dealing with a different sin.  I haven't been able to find many stories from the Indian Epics that can be used to derive a story based on sloth, so I decided to just write a microfiction about it. 

No Bibliography necessary.

Comments

  1. Izzy,

    For this week's assignment I read your sloth micro fiction. The thing I find hard about micro fictions is how to get the audience engaged and interested in your story with the low word count. I always found the seven deadly sins to be an interesting topic so I was happy to read your story. I liked the way you described Sloth and put a lot of characterization into him/her with the limit on the word count

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Izzy, really nice job in providing so much detail with such harsh restrictions on word count. I love the descriptions of sloth and how it is essentially a way of living. The two sentence summary was also a neat read as it is my first time reading something of this nature. It is creative, and as easy as writing two sentences sounds, I do not think I would be capable of doing it while at the same time providing some sort of meaning or relevance. So nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Izzy! What a cool story!
    The sloth story is so cool!! I think given the parameters you used, you did a really effective job telling a fantastic story. I really loved your two sentence story, as well. I have seriously been enjoying these microfictions and want to create more of them myself! I think you did a great job with both stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Izzy!

    This microfiction pairing was great, and I enjoyed reading them! The message was also great, too. I think that in this overproductive society, sometimes we get too concerned about our productivity levels and how much we are doing. We say "I'm so lazy" but really, we're doing a lot. Like you pointed out, it is this sense of apathy that really encompasses sloth.

    Cheers,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Izzy!
    This is a really cool concept! I like the way you start out talking about situations that don't fall under the category of sloth, because sometimes it is okay to be tired and need rest. I also really like your definition of sloth as a willingness to reap the rewards of others and apathy toward what's going on around you. This wasn't the first thing I thought of when I thought of sloth, but your story made me think about it and I feel like it might be a better definition than just laziness/not wanting to work, which is kind of the first thing that comes to mind when I hear the word.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts