Reading Notes: Mahabharata

In this weeks reading notes, I decided to look back at past readings of the Mahabharata to continue my series of the Pandava brothers and their challenges against the 7 Deadly Sins.  Although my most recent story did feature the deadly sin of WRATH, it didn't follow in the same setting as my previous story.  I thought that it worked with the 'sins' theme and concept, but I thought that the story of GREED was set up so well to feature more deadly sins.  I didn't want it to "go to waste" so I decided to revisit the story I had written about Bhima and Hidimba, and to continue with that by deriving more tales from the Mahabharata. 

Looking back at the Mahabharata reading notes I had taken in the past, I thought that focusing on this particular story would be best and the easiest one to incorporate into my series. 

63. Abhimanyu and Jayadratha

Another 'enemy' of the brothers includes the character Jayadratha, who had vowed to be the slave of Yudhishthira.  However, Jayadratha chooses to take his revenge.  There is lots of background info that leads to this battle, but I didn't want to include that into the story I had already set.  Instead, I think it will be better if I take the main plot and elements of death and battle into a new tale.

Story of Wrath

Death of Jayadratha.  Wikipedia Commons. 

 Bibliography 

The story from which these notes are taken is chapter 63. Abhimanyu and Jayadratha.  The link to this reading can be found here.  The Public Domain Mahabharata includes a collection of various authors from various sources that can all be found in the link above.  


Comments

Popular Posts